A few days after my arrival in London, I spotted my first elephant. Without hesitation, I gave it a big hug. The Walk London team (Ian P. Hardy, David Ingham and I) were strolling around Chelsea, getting a feel for the walks. I wanted more elephants and London was filled with 258 colorful pachyderms. I had to learn more.
Basic Facts about the Elephant Parade:
From May until the end of June, these painted elephants have been scattered around the city, in the largest fundraiser ever for the charity, Elephant Family (http://elephantfamily.org). London hosted this grand art event, attracting 25 million people and raising an estimated £ 2 million to create elephant corridors in India, Thailand and Sumatra allowing elephants to migrate in safety. Village populations are growing, pushing the elephant into less and less space. The hungry elephants invade villages, trample crops and kill villagers.Villagers retaliate, killing the elephants. By establishing movement corridors, elephants and humans can co-exist in peace.
What can we do?
Date an elephant! Maybe this is the most far-fetched thing you’ve ever thought of doing…or…maybe not!
Here’s how it works:
If you’re searching for a gift that stands out – like the biggest thing possible – Date an Elephant will satisfy on all fronts. Elephant Dating is a great gift for special occasions such as
- Valentine’s Day
Elephant Family created the concept of Elephant Dating as a refreshing change to charity adoption. Animal lovers everywhere will embrace this unique way to contribute to a worthy cause.
Now, here’s where you come in:
A donation of £30 (approx $45.00) will secure a 12-month date with a real Asian elephant. In return you will receive gifts from your beloved that include love letters, a photograph (to be framed and kept on your nightstand) plus the all important, Valentine’s Day card.
Steps to successfully elephant dating:
- Log on to http://www.elephantdating.org
- Buy a date using Google Checkout. If you want the gift box to be sent to a loved one, merely click “change” in the” deliver to” option and give his/her address.
- When the box arrives it will contain a booklet, DVD of Elephant Dating Celebrities and, of course, your dating card.
- The dating card begins your romance. It contains your voucher code. You select your intended (the elephant of your choice) and provide the address where you wish to receive your love letters.
- From here…you’re on your own. What you say to your elephant is between the two of you. Use the word “love” a lot. All animals love…love!
For goodness sake, let’s help the elephants.